Ripon Cross Country Outruns the Competition

Ripon High Cross Country outran the competition at the Thunder Cross Country Classic on Sep. 22. The team received a total of five trophies for placing as top teams in each division. Individual medals were also awarded to the runners based on their placements. Frosh-soph and JV had to run a total of two miles, and varsity ran three. Senior, Devin Fitzpatrick came in first place for the three mile run with a time of 15:38, breaking our school record! Breaking a school record is a big deal, especially when you strive to be the best you can be for yourself and your teammates. 

Fitzpatrick explains, “It was awesome. I’ve been wanting this for a while, and it felt really nice to finally get there.”

Realizing how badly you want something, such as wanting to break a record, is a huge source motivation and confidence. Fitzpatrick has been working long and hard to obtain such a record. Since he runs on the Track and Cross Country teams, he tends to work harder every day so he can stay in shape for the next season. 

Although breaking records and beating your times can be a big boost of motivation, it can be hard when trying to find the positivity to keep you going, especially in such a difficult sport such as Cross Country.

Fitzpatrick states, “Wanting to beat other people, as bad as that sounds, just wanting to compete against others keeps me positive.”

A sense of competition is a way to stay positive because it’s rewarding. Having some sort of reward after competition can help athletes stay positive and motivated because having some sort of accomplishment makes the athlete feel as if their hard work and dedication paid off.