Dude, Be Nice!

Hailey Williford

This week at RHS, we are celebrating Dude Be Nice. However, most people probably don’t know the actual idea behind Dude Be Nice week. Brought to Ripon High by our activities director, Jill Mortensen (Morty), Dude Be Nice is an organization that implies kind behavior around campus. Each year a staff member is promoted for their kindness. Staff members are chosen through clubs who nominate who they want to win. Whoever has the majority vote, wins. The dude or dudette that wins will then be acknowledged during the Dude Be Nice rally. This year’s rally was on Nov. 16.

Jill Mortensen got the idea after going to a conference where a gentleman shared his story of how he was a ‘jerk’ in high school. He has since changed and thought of the idea of Dude Be Nice. Once he realized that he wanted to be a better person, he created Dude Be Nice as a way to encourage others to be kind to each other as well.

“When you treat people with love and kindness, it’s a whole other world” Morty states.

Through celebrating Dude Be Nice, this week was also paired with multiple dress up days: Monday was pajama day where everyone was able to come to school in their comfy pj’s. Tuesday was a day of remembrance of the military, so those participating wore camouflage. Wednesday was college or elementary day. Lastly, Thursday was DNB, class shirt, sports shirt, or club shirt day.