RHS Wrestling Team Pummels Riverbank

The RHS wrestling team came into the 2024 year with a goal to win all their matches. They started off strong in their match with Riverbank on Jan.10, 2024, and won with a score of 62 to eight. 

The matches had begun with freshmen wrestler, Ace Dougherty, having to give everything he had. Dougherty had his opponent down for most of the match, however he had to fight for the call. Dougherty struggled to get his opponent pinned yet, after several rounds, Dougherty pulled through with the win. 

Most RHS wrestlers suffered through the same trials, however junior wrestler, Porter Meyers, was able to pin his opponent within the first few rounds. Meyers says, “I cut some weight and trained really hard with some fast guys, and they taught me a couple techniques. [They taught me] how to be a little bit faster, a little bit edgier on my feet, a lot of foot work with coach, and a lot of hard conditioning.”

Freshmen wrestler, Kael Rangel, states, “I think what’s great about the team is that we all love each other, and nobody argues. The practices go really good and everybody’s working really hard in the gym, after school, and before school. A lot of people are putting in the work that the other teams aren’t.” 

This match has shown that the RHS wrestlers do not give up easily and should not be a team to mess with.