Art is Painting it Up

Art can help students stimulate their creativity and boost self-esteem, it is a great way for students to express themselves and their feelings, which is the sole purpose of Ripon High’s Art classes. Art is known to help students’ feelings of anxiety, stress, and depression. It helps provide a platform to voice our thoughts, feelings, and identities.

There are many different levels of art ranging from beginners to experts, Art I helps people grow whether they have artistic skills already, or not. Some people see art in different ways both good and bad. But all of it is still the same. Students in art draw all kinds of things. 

For example, sophomore, Clara Schooland’s favorite drawing “…was probably the final where we had to do a portrait of a celebrity.” Right now in Art I, they are working with Indian ink and practicing for more drawings.

Art II is for more moderate level students who enjoyed Art I. Students in this class receive projects that require greater scope and depth. Junior, Mollie Walker states, “Right now we are doing charcoal drawings. So basically this one we’re doing currently is a free draw, meaning you can draw whatever you want using charcoal. It’s pretty interesting…”

Finally, there’s Art III, which takes all of the skills and information you’ve learned in the past Art classes. Junior, Alexa Villegas says “I’m definitely making improvements. We do a lot of  projects throughout the semester. For example, we have this one project where you draw a face and then at the end of the year you do it again and then he compares them and shows us our improvement.”

There is definitely a positive for people who get to do art since it provides a relief of stress off your back. So if you’re an incoming freshman or sophomore next year, make sure to check out art. Walker stated, “I would definitely recommend this class. I think art is probably my favorite class, because it’s chill, but you  get to practice a lot.”