Soccer Senior Night Scare

Is the game going to get canceled? Will there be a senior night?  Do we have to reschedule? The conditions on Feb. 1 were extremely unpredictable. The coaches and referees were unsure if the girls soccer were going to be able to play. 

Lightning was striking and heavy rain was pouring, causing a delay on the JV game. Unfortunately their game was canceled so that the varsity girls could experience their senior night on a perfect field. Water had to be blown off the field with a leaf blower, in order for the girls to play. There was a lot of hard work put in to make the field playable but it was accomplished.

Head coach, Bryce Perkins, walked the crowd and players through what was going to happen. Moments after, eight families lined up facing the crowd waiting for the players’ names to be called up. Those names were Katie Martin, Kathryn Rhodes, Alexandra Iniguez, Kaitlyn Espinola, Jennaveve Albert, Leilani Torres, Kaya Whittaker, and Alyson Harvey. Big smiles stretched across the whole field. Under the rainy clouds, the parents and coaches were proud, and the crowd was loud. After all eight girls were escorted by their families, they all got the opportunity to take quick pictures before the game.

The Lady Indians played against Escalon, beating them 8-0. Their skillful passes, great communication, and powerful shots lead to this superb victory. Despite the cold weather and the puddles on the field the varsity girls did not give up. 

“I think the season went well overall. It showed us how strong and competitive we were,” states senior Leilani Torres. “We worked great as a team.” 

They made the best out of this chaotic night. They went from not even sure if they would be able to experience their senior night, to making that night the most enjoyable and memorable. This is a night they’ll never forget.

Senior Jennaveve Albert agrees and states, “It was a bittersweet moment because this was something I was always looking forward to but at the same time it is my last year playing soccer.”

We are beyond proud of these seniors. We cannot wait to see how far they’ll make it in their future. Goodluck with adulthood and good job Lady Indians!