Setter Spotlight: Martin Raygoza

Number+10%2C+Martin+Raygoza%0APhoto+courtesy+of+Jesus+Ochoa+
Number 10, Martin Raygoza Photo courtesy of Jesus Ochoa

Senior, Martin Raygoza, has had an outstanding volleyball season along with his teammates. Raygoza has played volleyball for approximately three years and this year will be his last year playing for Ripon High. 

He currently plays on the RHS Varsity team as a defensive back player and setter. Although that’s not his only job, he is team captain and he leads and encourages his team. His passion for volleyball first started with his family. Raygoza’s uncle showed him how to play and ever since, he loves playing. 

Raygoza started playing for RHS his sophomore year and it was his favorite year. He was able to make some great memories and accomplishments such as making varsity his first year as a sophomore. As the boys approach mid-season, we know many seniors are devastated to be playing for the last year. He was asked how he felt as it’s his last year.

“It’s a little sad,” Raygoza comments. “Although I’ll still have friends here, I’ll come back and watch them.” 

As captain and a team player, the boys have been having a great season and Raygoza has assisted with that. As captain, his job is to encourage and motivate his team. 

He says, “We all make mistakes and that’s fine but I just have to uplift them in certain situations.”

Not every game will be a win and some players may feel down, they may feel as if they have no chance, but Raygoza assures this is not the case. He has done an outstanding job as captain and team player. Keep up the great work and as Rayoza says, “Give it your all and play one-hundred percent!”