Lunchtime Madness; Food Being Banned in RHS Library

At RHS there are many options for students to go out to lunch, but by far the most popular place for students to enjoy their break is the Ripon High Library. Shockingly, on Mon. April 8, the new librarian, Mrs. McPeak, announced that food would no longer be allowed in the library. Since then, many students are disoriented at lunch time without the library as an option as a place to eat. To some, the library is considered the perfect place to eat lunch. 

Freshman Juliana Cardenas explained why she chooses the library for lunch. “I chose to eat there because everyone is there and I feel comfortable eating there. Even though it is a lot crowded, I feel like no one is judging me in there.”  

The decision to ban food from the library is a bold decision considering that most of the foot traffic in the library is hungry students looking for a place to eat their food. However, this decision is justified by the way students behaved while eating in the library. Senior Calvin Woo, a TA for the library, stated, “People not picking up their trash was the main reason it was banned. Personally, I feel like it is up to her because she is the one who is picking up the trash at the end of the day.” 

Though the closed library is a disappointment to students, ultimately the food was banned from the library because of the student’s behavior. All we can do to have a chance for the ban to be lifted is to try to pick up after yourself, whether that is at Eddies, a classroom, or the cafeteria cleaning after your meal shows the maturity that we hope to be reciprocated with.