Spotlight: Potter Places

Shaylin Potter at Reno Worlds Photo Credit: riponhighsuperfan instagram

Junior, Shaylin Potter is a student-athlete who is very passionate about the sport of wrestling. Wrestling is an individual sport and the goal of it is to hold the opponent to the ground. She has been wrestling for two and a half years and absolutely loves it. Potter finds joy in her sport because it allows her to be herself.
“It made me confident and not be scared to be who I actually am,” Potter states.
Some inspirations of hers are her parents. They’re diligent workers and never give up. Before going against her opponents Potter has a special way of preparing. She prepares herself by stomping, listening to music, and praying. Her favorite genre to listen to is pop. Some artists she listens to are Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, Gwen Stefani, and more.
Recently Potter went to Reno Worlds, a competition similar to nationals. Many wrestlers from different states competed in this. She wrestled and placed 6th. Potter is extremely proud of herself for making it this far. Everytime isn’t going to be a win and Potter acknowledges that, but she motivates herself by just trying to improve and better herself next time. Although when she does place, Potter is proud of herself. She sees that her hard work is paying and makes her realize when she doesn’t put in the hard work there isn’t any winnings
“Winning is good, it makes me feel even more determined to do more,” Potter says.
Potter is a diligent student-athlete and has made it very far in wrestling and hopes to continue her sport. If you see Potter in the hallways be sure to congratulate her!