What Is Advisory?

Screenshot
Screenshot

Every Wednesday, all the students at Ripon High go to advisory after their fourth periods, before lunch. Advisory is a class sorted by grade level, meaning freshmen are with freshmen, sophomores are with sophomores, etc. The classes are split up alphabetically and teachers are randomly assigned. The teacher of your advisory class will be the same for all four years of high school unless that teacher retires or leaves. However, no one really knows what the point of advisory is.

Advisory has been many things over the years. During this period, classes have done slideshows, podcasts, videos, Character Strong activities, and even live videos which currently happen. However, no one has ever seemed completely satisfied with what advisory is. Most want advisory to be a study hall or free period. Many teachers have brought this idea to the principal, but nothing has been done about it. Most feel that advisory is a waste of time, and everyone should instead, get a longer lunch. Some have even requested for advisory to become a nap time period. 

Advisory certainly has its positives and negatives, but it seems that it is here to stay. Yet it does lead you to ask yourself, what do you want advisory to become?