Ripon High Hosts Flag Football Event

Before Ripon High’s Football season starts they host a flag football event each year to show the future potential of football at Ripon High. Elementary schools like Colony Oak, Ripona, Park View, Ripon Elementary, and Weston all compete for a shot of a trophy and a glorious victory. Ripon High has hosted this event every year since 2016. Freshman Lorenzo Hernandez who refereed the game said that the event was, “…very eventful and promising for new student athletes coming in next year.”

The rules of flag football are somewhat similar to football, but are also quite different in many ways. In football there’s a lot of contact while in flag football there’s just little to no contact besides pulling flags. Football has more positions/players but with flag football there’s less players. Lastly, football’s yardage compared to is very different from flag football’s using the whole field to flag football using half of a football field.

With that being said, each elementary school tried their best to come close to the win that night, but only one Elementary School could win it all. Ripon Elementary won the event. Out of all the teams that played during the event, Ripon Elementary stood out from the crowd. Following their win, Lorenzo Hernandez stated that Ripon Elementary “…seemed to be diligent and hard working every play they made.”