Muss’s Journey: From Player to Coach

High School Football Player to High School Football Coach

Nimrit Hayer, Student Life Editor

Muss poses with ball in hand and hair on his head!

Christopher Musseman is the current head football coach of Ripon High School who led this year’s 2017-2018 football team to playoffs. Before becoming the head coach, he has coached at RHS for 17 years.

Musseman himself had an extremely successful high school football experience. He played football at Monte Vista High School in Danville, CA.

“My high school football experience was outstanding. I was in one of the most successful football programs in the 1980s. I learned important lessons in life, which is why I do what I do today,” Musseman claimed.

Musseman’s success as a high school football player also in his name appearing in the book When the Game Stands Tall. He was mentioned in the book because of the touchdown he scored in the De LaSalle section championship. 

They had a 44 game winning streak coming into the game and had not lost in three years. To beat them in the finals and score the winning touchdown meant a lot”

— Coach Musseman

“They had a 44 game winning streak coming into the game and had not lost in three years. To beat them in the finals and score the winning touchdown meant a lot,” Musseman said.

Musseman’s experience as a high school football player allows him to better coach his high school players.

“Because I was a player, I am able to understand what the kids are going through and their thought process. As much as people think things have changed, they haven’t. It helps me relate to their needs as a player,” Musseman stated.

Defensive Coach Jorge Velasco has coached with Musseman since 2004.

“It’s great coaching with him. He lets us do what we want to do. He oversees us, gives us leeway, and a lot of great input,” Velasco said.

Although both experiences have been memorable for him, Muss claims being a coach is different from being a player.

“It is different. I love the football stuff. Some of the stuff outside of the game can be frustrating, but it’s worth it in the end to help kids become young men,” Musseman said.

Velasco explained how Musseman’s experience makes him credible for his position.

“He is very knowledgeable and has been the offensive coordinator for some time and defensive as well. I have learned that he cares a lot for not only the athletes, but the coaches as well,” Velasco stated.

Musseman has also made decisions as a coach by reflecting on his own experience as a high school football player.

“I have implemented discipline. Not the you’re in trouble discipline, but the importance of commiting to something, finishing it, and working with others,” Musseman explained.

Musseman has made a commitment to the sport of football and dedicates himself to the players’ success. Velasco and other spectators have also noticed Musseman’s dedication and hard work. “He works really hard, not just during practice, but also off. He loves the sport,” Velasco claimed.