Varsity Girls’ Soccer Makes History

So far, 2018 has proven to be a year of triumph. Our High school’s most recent victory in sports put Ripon’s name down in history and united the school in support of our fellow lady Indians.

Our varsity girl soccer team fought long and hard through the challenging season to set the record for making it further than any Ripon sports team.

The final game took place on March 10, 2018. A buzzing student and faculty section packed in to watch our girls brave the night that would determine exactly how much history would be made for Ripon High.

After tying up 1-1 and with 15 minutes on the clock for the game-winning goal, Lowell High broke the tie. The resulting final score was 2-1, to Lowell, a school from the Bay Area. Ripon’s team was a point away from becoming NorCal champions.

“My initial reaction was hesitation because most of us were expecting a call but it never came so we moved on to acceptance,” explains Varsity and JV Coach Nichole Meyer.

“I wouldn’t say we left any regrets on the field,” reflects Meyer, “we played a good game of soccer and I’m proud.”

Despite the loss, history was still made as the girls went farther than any other team from Ripon in any sport. They were essentially battling for the equivalent of the state title and in turn, a golden banner for the wall of Ripon’s auditorium. But even more than that, the girls made Ripon High proud of their season and excited for their next shot at regional championships in 2019.

The varsity team consists of twenty girls, ranging from freshman to seniors, but the team was a majority of underclassmen. This indicates that next year’s shot at claiming the title is well within reach with, of course, an exceptional amount hard work and training.

“The team became really closely bonded,” says Aubree Pelon, a sophomore on varsity, “being on varsity gave underclassmen the chance to bond with upperclassmen and it was really special.”

“I’m going to miss these girls,” laughs Pelon.

Prior to the much anticipated regional championship game, the girls battled through playoffs with a solid two-month winning streak to show for it. They placed second seed in playoffs.

They battled in a tough game vs Sacramento’s Capital Christian on February 21st. Though both schools were eager to play and to move onto the next round of playoffs, only one could come out successful.

“This is what everything leads up to, this is what we trained for,” stated Pelon, as she explained the serious excitement built up amongst the team.

Both Pelon and senior Cindy Alvarez scored in the playoff game against Capital Christian.

“Scoring two goals against Capital Christian was an exciting experience because of the competition they let out on the field making it really challenging,” Alvarez states.

The next step for the Lady Indians was the second round of playoffs. They played West Campus on February 23.

This game proved a tough one for Ripon, however, with the practice and dedication that had been applied throughout the season, the team’s winning streak prevailed.

West Campus raced the clocked, yet for Ripon it seemed like an endless game, ending in an unforgettable win.

The climax of the season prior to the final game was the section final game against Hilmar; reigning TVL champions. Hilmar and Ripon, being considered rivals, made the win feel a huge accomplishment for the team.

“Definitely beating Hilmar in the section final was the highlight of the season,” says Coach Meyer.

“[I am] Extremely proud of our team this year,” concludes Meyer, “this journey was so exciting.”