Procrastination: What’s the Point?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Procrastination: What’s the Point?

Ally Pendleton, Journalist

When high school students take honors and AP classes, they often procrastinate when they have a lot of things to get done, have sporting or other outside events, or just not wanting to do the assignment in general.

Gabriel Herrera, Niki Nguyen, and Kate Villegas are all students at Ripon High that take AP and honors classes and are also involved with leadership and sports. All three of them often find themselves procrastinating.

“I think I just don’t really want to do the work and sometimes I don’t think I can truly focus focus on it at the moment, so somehow I think avoiding it will make everything go away,” student Kate Villegas said.

Procrastination can have negative effects on us. Not only does it take away time, but it also can lower achievements because you don’t take the time to do a certain thing. Some students think that the classes they take can have an effect on their procrastination.

“The classes I take cause my procrastination. Sometimes I’m so caught up in doing something in leadership that I forget that I have Spanish homework and I end up not doing it,” sophomore Gabriel Herrera exclaimed. “I also feel like I need to put more time into AP or weighted classes over non-weighted ones.”

Although procrastination can be a bad thing at times, it can also have a few positive effects. For example, you can avoid doing stuff you don’t want and have time for other things, and it can also make people more productive.

“Procrastinating can make me more productive in a way because I’m forced to really sit down in order to meet the deadline of the activity,” sophomore Niki Nguyen stated. 

Procrastinating can make me more productive in a way because I’m forced to really sit down in order to meet the deadline of the activity.”

— Niki Nguyen

When you look at both sides, procrastination can be a good thing, but it can also be a bad thing. However, there are ways to stop it. You can give yourself rewards if you don’t procrastinate, you can become more aware of the time you waste, or you could do something like getting the hard things out of the way first.

“If I don’t procrastinate, I find that I’m more relaxed and my brain can wander because I know that I have a bunch of time to finish since I started early,” student Nguyen stated.

Ally Pendleton, Journalist

Ally Pendleton is a sophomore at Ripon High. She is involved in clubs and sports such as United, CSF, Block R, and basketball. Her favorite part of Journalism...