Strong Start for Cross Country

Photo Credit : Kennedy Winter, sophomore

The cross country team started their league season strong! All four teams competed in the first Trans Valley League Cluster last night.  The league consists of Ripon, Hilmar, Hughson, Livingston, Escalon and Riverbank. Junior varsity (JV) ran a co-ed two mile race and varsity girls and boys ran a 5k marathon. 

Heat had been a concern for the league coaches, resulting with a change in  the original times and location of the meet. It was originally to be held at River Bluff Park in Ceres at 3:30pm, but was held at the Escalon stadium starting with JV at 8pm, then moving to varsity girls at 8:30 and finally varsity boys at 9. Both girls teams dominated the league coming in first. Varsity girls beat their closest competitor Himar by over 20 points, while JV beat Escalon by 39 points. Varsity boys ran hard against Hughson, coming in second with 61 points. JV boys were third behind Hughson and Riverbank. 

Many members of all teams placed in the top 10. For JV girls sophomores Kyla Agbayani-Duenas placed second, Celeste Nunez came in sixth, Emilie Benavidas was eighth. Seniors Lauren Martini and Alannah Lehr were ninth and tenth. Senior Annie Wild and junior Jenna Skavdahl led the race in first and second for the varsity girls. Following were sophomore Starla Skiles in fourth, senior Asia Rose in seventh, and sophomore Mallory Govia in ninth. Ripon had sophomore Vincent Martini in sixth and freshman Jacob Bair in tenth for the JV boys race. Finally varsity boys had senior Julio Pelaez in seventh and juniors Devin Fitzpatrick and Valente Hernandez.

The team continues their season Saturday at the Kim Duyst Invitational. Keep up the great work Indians!.