Ripon’s Young People and Politics

A Review of the Jeff Denham for Congress Work Experience Program and It’s Impact on RHS’ Young Community

In exchange for dedication, hard work, and a personal display of professionalism, The Jeff Denham Work Experience Program offers community service, a letter of recommendation from the congressman, and resume building opportunities.

With approximately over 100 students in this program, and a heavy influence of RHS student involvement, the community questions what the greatest appeal of the program is.

The program is run from an office on McHenry Avenue by office manager Johnny Bryner. The expectation for adolescent  volunteers is that all students may arrive at the office in casual, but appropriate dress, the dress code is similar to that of many schools. Upon rare occasion are the students asked to dress semi-professional in the event the congressman or other political characters are expected to make an appearance. The environment can be described as laid back, or student friendly. The main office having a large conference call table, surrounded by cushioned office swivel chairs, and campaign phone lines. Entry level volunteers are expected to make 100 calls in an hour, a task that is not difficult due to the efficient call system. Throughout each shift students speak with thousands of voters in the valley becoming well versed with politics and policies in an environment that allows personal political supervision and political expression, and only asks for student participation. Almost all students leave their semester of volunteer work with more knowledge and stronger communication skills.

Alongside the general campaign volunteer experience, all participants are offered help with resume building. Bryner offers several workshops allowing students to restructure and organize their resumes and cover letters in a professional and efficient fashion.

While this program is student friendly and one of the top preforming congressional volunteer campaigns in the nation; for a program that presents itself as an opportunity to develop strong professional and workforce skills, some may argue it is too relaxed of a setting and that work experience exceeding that of another program is not as professionally geared as it is initially advertised. That being said, it is hard to critique any leading campaign that has been featured in several political magazines such as politico, the New York Times, LA Times, as well as media outlets such as KCRA 3, and Fox 40, and offers a letter of recommendation from a congressman’s campaign whom has held office for the past eight years.