Poetical Poetry Cafe of 2024

Master of Ceremonies: Mr. Yonan

April is National Poetry Month and Ripon High’s English department, with Mrs. Burton taking the lead, makes an effort every year to host the eventful Poetry Cafe since 2003, excluding the years 2020 to 2022 due to Covid. It was held on April 15 at Ripon’s public library and Ripon High students attended to enjoy the various food and drinks alongside drawing and listening to beautiful poetry. Not only that, anyone was given the chance to volunteer to read a poem of their own or one they were fond of.  

Junior Kamal Kaur volunteered to read a poem she eloquently wrote about her brother. “It was during the Covid years and I was just at home,” Kaur explains about the spark that caused her to write the poem. “It was time for us building a nice relationship, so I was like ‘Oh, why not just write a poem for him!’”

This is sadly the first year without Dr. Samborski as the Master of Ceremonies (MC), but do not fret, English teacher Mr. Yonan swiftly took up this role and carried it out successfully. The purpose of being an MC is to look ridiculous in a goofy costume in front of an audience while reading poems in hopes of encouraging those who are afraid to read their poems to go up and do so without feeling embarrassed. Of course, being in such a role for the first time was nerve racking for Yonan, but it’s pretty clear that he had a blast being able to do this. 

“It was my first time ever doing it and I was trying to keep the vibe going,” Yonan expressed. “So, I had a list of poems that I had found. Obviously, Dr. Samborski is a better MC than me, but I think over the years, I will hopefully get better at it.”

It’s safe to say that Poetry Cafe had an excellent turnout despite it being a Monday. If you’re a poetry lover, this event is just for you to attend next April!