Japanese exchange

On Friday, October 13th around 5:30pm, a bus pulled up in front of Ripon High. This was the moment that so many of students of RHS had been waiting for. The Japanese students had finally made their way from Kyoto Gakuen, their high school in Japan, to the town of Ripon for their five day home-stay exchange trip.

As the students exited the bus, cheers exploded from the crowd and the nervous jitters that had built up from the anticipation prior to this moment were replaced with excitement. Each family was called up in turn to meet their students and take them to the first event on the itinerary: Friday’s Pink Out game against Modesto Christian.

Most families hosted a pair of students, either boys or girls, who were in their second year of high school. Here in America, with the Japanese and American school systems being different, it would be the equivalent of their junior year of high school.

The students of Ripon High got their first look at the Japanese students at the game Friday night, and the connection between many of the students was instant and unmissable. The Japanese students were greeted with waves and smiles, as language proved to be a difficulty, but with the joint understanding that this was new to everyone, it was easy to become friends and just have fun.

This was the beginning of one of the most special and great experiences for many Ripon families.

For Saturday and Sunday, the students were left to spend time with their host families, many of whom took them shopping, to play basketball or golf, sightseeing, to Dell’Osso farms, or even to amusement parks. My family took the two exchange students we were hosting, Yousuke and Shunsuke, to my cross country meet early Saturday, which I doubt they appreciated very much, and then later to Dell’osso Farms with my friends.

“I really felt like we got to bond with them most when we got to hang out with Aiko’s guys and their friends at Dell’osso,” friend Gianna Brocchini says. “Things were a little tense and too friendly at first, since everyone was nervous, but they relaxed more when we joined their friends, and we had a ton of fun.”

With the student’s limited ability to speak English, communication between students was the main difficulty. But resources like google translate and their basic knowledge of the language allowed for things to be manageable.

“I had two guys, Yura and Junpei, and yeah the language boundary was hard to work through, but it didn’t stop us from understanding the basis of what each of us was saying and having fun,” says sophomore Lilith Byrne, who was part of the exchange.

On Tuesday, the Japanese students were brought to school, and this day was easily the highlight of the trip. They shadowed RHS students to their classes, and the rest of the students at Ripon High had the chance to meet and become friends with the Japanese students. Later, the entire school showed up to watch the rally as cultures mixed and Japanese and American people alike supported each other.

I would have to say that one of the proudest moments I’ve had was when I saw Yousuke stand up to speak in front of the entire school in english.

“That’s my guy!” were the only words that came out of my mouth. “That’s my guy.”

There were tears in Gianna and my eyes when the crowd went wild and he took a bow, and in that moment, I knew that this was something I couldn’t forget.

These absolute strangers from across the world had made an unbelievable impact on our lives, in ways that most would say they could have never imagined.

The rally included the most overwhelmingly loved performance by a Japanese student who did an amazing traditional routine and it was followed by performances by groups of girls, like Saho and Rinka, who did a cheerleading dance. The rally closed with a dance performance by the collective body of the Japanese students.

The support and love in that room was monumental, and everyone present that day could feel it.

“I wanted the whole school to experience this.” Mrs. Mortensen says, “The Japanese students and adults were amazed that the whole school came to watch them and the students were amazing. Everyone was so supportive.”

The week ended with the banquet for all of the people who were involved with the week. It was the final night, and I think a lot of us were trying to make the most of it, while also mentally preparing ourselves for their departure the following morning.

At 7:30 a.m. on that Wednesday, October 18th, Ripon High School gathered to say their goodbyes.

I think we would all like to say we will see them again, but we all know that it isn’t very likely. Sometimes chances like this only come once in a lifetime, and that’s what makes them so special.

There is a Japanese proverb that my mother told me as a kid, and it was this: . In English (ichigo ichiey), it basically means one opportunity, one lifetime. The things that happen could be once-in-a-lifetime encounters, so it becomes increasingly important to remember and cherish those moments and those people you meet.

Though it may be rare for people to keep in touch as time passes and our lives go on, the hope that maybe it isn’t the last time and we will see these people can be something we can hang on to and strive for. Regardless, the time that passes won’t cloud the memories Ripon High has made in this past week and the impact that some of exchange students had on

our lives. RHS will always have this week to look back on to remind them that in any situation, people can put their differences aside, hardships aside, and just be people having fun. Because in the end, that is who we all are: people.