Cross Country: First TVL of The Season

Photo Credit: Celeste Nunez

Ripon High Cross Country killed it at their first TVL meet in Ceres on Sep. 6. The course consisted of all JV team members running close to two miles. While the Varsity runners had to run three. Senior Devin Fitzpatrick for varsity boys, and Sophomore Miguel Acosta for JV boys, both placed first, and ended up being Ripon High’s top runners for the day. For some people on the team, this is their first ever TVL meet, such as Sophie White, a freshman at Ripon High. She placed fourteenth out of 40 girls. 

White states, “One thing I felt during the race was anxiety. I was scared to run on JV because I have never done so. In my mind, I thought JV would be a more difficult run, but as I ran through the trail I found it not so bad after all.” For all of the freshman girls and boys, this was their first time running on JV, making it seem as if it’d be a more difficult run.

Cross country seems as if it’s all about strength in the body, when in reality it’s also a sport for mental strength. Even though it’s considered an individual sport, having a team there to help and support you is also a huge part of cross country.

White says, “I like how in cross country you’re being surrounded by positive people that keep you feeling motivated.” Ripon High’s cross country team was constantly there to support each other as their runners came through the finish line. Overall the first TVL meet of the season was a success.