Ripon’s Scary Scarecrow Contest

Credit: Chamber of Commerce

The Trick–Or-Treating, the haunted houses, the spooky parties, the craze for pumpkin spice, and, of course, the scarecrow contests! Yes, it’s that time of the year already: Halloween!

Like last Halloween, the Ripon community and businesses join in on the Halloween festivities and put out scarecrows for our little town’s enjoyment. The Ripon Chamber of Commerce president, Kelly Donohue, states, “The Scarecrow Contest was set up to add some quaint cheer to the town to kickoff the fall season, because a lot of things happen in Ripon in the fall.” 

The scarecrow contest’s idea is to bring fun to Ripon with a small competition for businesses around our little town. “It brings awareness to the businesses that participate, so maybe it would encourage people to go to the business and look at their scarecrows,” Donohue states. 

The contest’s voting lasted from Oct. 6th to Oct. 31st, and in the beginning of the competition, Ripon Christian Preschool’s Mary Poppins and Re/Max’s Wizard of Oz scarecrows were neck and neck. Ripon Christian Preschool had 192 likes and Re/Max had 189 likes. 

Quite a bit of suspense was made with the close race, but in the end Ripon Christian Preschool came through with the win!