Ripon High Cross Country Competes in Subsections

Freshman, Violet Wagner, passing an opponent

On Nov. 4, Ripon High Cross Country competed in Frogtown, Angels Camp for subsections. The Frogtown course is one of the hardest out of them all, due to there being several hills, and many competitors. This course consists of three consecutive hills, constant incline, and dirt paths. Varsity and JV ran a total of three miles, while Frosh-soph ran two. Junior, Celeste Nunez and freshman, Julian Gonzales were both a part of teams that raced to qualify for sections.

Kember Duncan and Clara Schoolland

Junior, Celeste Nunez explains, “I feel nervous about moving on because I really want to continue.” This also isn’t Celeste’s first time running at Frogtown either. This is the second appearance Ripon High has made at Frogtown this season.

Nunez says, “I’ve run at Frogtown before, but this was probably my best run I’ve had.” Celeste has clearly improved throughout the season and has put in the effort to make it to sections.

Freshman, Julian Gonzales, had his first experience with subsections. Although he had run at Frogtown before, there was more pressure put on him this time. Gonzales explains, “It feels good to move on, because I get to continue. It compares to moving onto playoffs in a different sport, in my perspective.”

With cross country being such a difficult sport, it feels good to move onto something such as sections. Our Ripon High athletes have worked very hard to qualify for sections. Keep it up athletes!