Jump, Shout, Cheer!

Homecoming+Cheer
Homecoming Cheer

Dazzling uniforms, dance routines, and perfect-looking hair and makeup. Not to mention, always asked to step up your positivity and wear a smile on your face at all times. These are some of the many expectations when it comes to being a cheerleader. Nevertheless, cheerleading is much more than it is seen to be. When it comes to cheering here at RHS, our girls have built more than just a squad, they’ve built a family. 

For most of the girls on varsity, this would have been their last year of cheerleading in high school. Senior, Sami Reading, says that she didn’t expect to be hit with so many emotions when thinking about the topic. Regardless, that very last night being with her team really started to get to her. Relishing in all the memories and good times they had over the years. 

Now everyone can agree that Escalon is always the toughest team to beat when it comes to the battle of each team’s dance routines, but one of the teams that impressed our girls the most this year was East Union. East Union brought the girls some real competition this year which made the game all that more exciting. Knowing that the girls actually have some competition gets them even more motivated to work their hardest. When up against a hard team to beat, these girls know when to bring their A-game, not only for the parents but for the whole student section. 

When asked what was the highlight of her cheer season Reading said, “I would say the end, because the senior night felt really conclusive of the whole four years, it just felt really special.” With Hughson being the last game of the season. This was an incentive for the girls to bring it together for one last night. According to Natalie Becerra, the season was a bundle of emotions and “bittersweet” due to it being the seniors’ last year. Over the past four years, these girls have bonded over cheer, even if no classes were shared between any of them. Being a part of the squad had brought these girls closer together, creating an everlasting bond between them all. 

To end this year’s 2023 cheer season Sami Reading would like to leave one piece of advice for the future cheer squads to come. 

Reading says, “Put yourself out there, especially with such a big team, you want to stand out and know that you’ve made a difference.” And for all the upcoming cheerleaders next year, remember to always cheer louder than the rest!