Meet RHS’ Track Coaches

As spring season approaches, spring sports are starting to condition for their upcoming season. Track and field is one of the sports offered for the spring season, and athletes are getting ready and starting their conditioning process! 

The track coaches at Ripon High are Jorge Velasco, Jill McPherson, and Kinsey Pettigrew-Taa. These coaches work hard to help their student-athletes throughout the season, and motivate them to work hard and help them improve.

Taa is a physical education teacher here at Ripon High, and has been a part of the staff for four years. She went to Hilmar high school and played golf, basketball, and soccer. She coaches cross country in the fall, and track and field in the spring. Taa explains, “The kids are my favorite part about coaching.” Taa is a great role model for her student athletes and wishes to see them succeed.

McPherson has been a part of the Ripon High staff for over 30 years. McPherson went to Branham High School in San Jose. She was a part of the track and field team, as well as the cross country team. Although coaching can be difficult, it can come with great rewards. McPherson says, “My favorite part about coaching is the athletes. You get time to know them and watch them grow over the four years of their high school career.” McPherson helps her athletes through motivation and training. She sees her athlete’s potential whether they’re new or returning to the sport. 

Velasco has been on the Ripon High staff for 19 years. He teaches Freshman PE, Team Sports, and Sports Conditioning. He also went to Ripon High, where he played football, basketball, and track and field. Velasco explains, “My favorite thing about track and field is the amount of different events. There is an event for everyone; fast, agile, and strong people.” This just shows how much of a great sport track and field really is. It’s a sport that gives athletic opportunities to everyone. “It’s also great to see the hard work the athletes put in and improve from the start to the end of the season.” 

Track and field is a fun and inclusive sport where everybody can find something that fits their own athletic ability. Thanks to these coaches, Ripon High is looking forward to an exciting track season.