JV Softball; Ripon vs. Orestimba

As the sun lowered behind the bleachers, the Ripon High Jv softball team gathered on the field, to play a game that created challenges and camaraderie. This game took place on Tue. March 26, on the Ripon High School fields. In this pre-season game, the Jv softball team versed the Orestimba Warriors. Each inning was filled with highs and lows, but unfortunately, Ripon High lost to Orestimba with the score of 10-8. The main threat that Orestimba posed was great pitching and communication. 

When it comes to Ripon High’s strengths freshman Jv player Calli Kahan, says, “We definitely talk a lot and I think communication and cheering each other on when we go up to bat is a good thing that we have.” 

However, after the game, Junior Emilie Benavides grudgingly admits, “I think the team could have improved on talking more because we talk enough, but when a runner is going we will never really say where it’s at or even when it’s at the cutoff sometimes.” 

While motivational cheering was very present during the game, communication was lacking in the first few innings. Many things could have been improved on during the first half of the game, but Ripon High improved noticeably in the last few innings and even brought up the score to only lose by 2. 

Freshman Brielle Swails stated, “I think I did alright. I feel like I did well at my grounding at first but I feel like I could have done better on my hitting. I also think this loss was kind of surprising; we were almost there. It was only a loss by 2.” 

Counting that it is only the pre- season for softball, Ripon High Jv softball has a great future for League games.