Varsity Softball Fights Hard

Ripon High’s Varsity softball team faced Big Valley Tuesday, March 27, 2024. Our Lady Indians undoubtedly had strong characteristics all throughout the game, but were only able to conclude the game with 1-2 loss. 

Senior pitcher, Kharime Caratachea, also known as Mims, states that she always holds herself to a high standard and tries to pitch her very best in every game. However, falling short of proper defense on Tuesday was what ultimately killed them. The ability to focus up and make certain plays needed to defeat Big Valley were also things that Ripon lacked. 

Even so, Caratachea maintained her solidity and confidence, and even through the team’s faults, she saw improvement in herself. 

She says, “The last three games I haven’t felt my best, but the game doesn’t really bother me because I pitched my best and I know I did really well.”

Reflecting on Tuesday’s game, sophomore Addison Naranjo, agrees that the pressure put on the Big Valley from their pitching was inviolable and their issues lied elsewhere. 

She says, “Our defense just wasn’t able to back up our pitching, but there were timely hits that were able to get us a run on the board.” 

Naranjo goes on to explain that even with strong offense the rest of the team wasn’t able to adjust to the pitcher and acquire more runs for the team. 

Ripon goes on to play East Union on Thursday, April 4, and their comeback from this week’s game is greatly anticipated.