Seniors Rock the Vote

Some seniors at Ripon High School are rocking the vote in the election of this 2016 year!

The seniors voting include Lexis Meyer, Matthew Mohler, and Steven Kirkpatrick. All three of the seniors shared how they feel about voting and the election this year.

Meyer stated, “It’s [voting] an obligation as a United States citizen. You should vote if you are a citizen of this country.” According to Meyer, voting is an important part of being a citizen.

When asked what voting means to Mohler, he stated, “ I feel it’s a duty of a citizen to participate in government. If you want to see a political change, it is important to act by voting.” Some people want to see a change without voting, but voting is how you can contribute to the outcome you want.

All three students seemed to have a similar opinion on how this election makes them feel. Kirkpatrick said, “This election does not really let us have a say because it is not the best election.”

Meyer said, “This is an interesting election for my first election to vote in. There is a lot of drama and bashing each other compared to other elections.” This election definitely has some heat going on.

Mohler said, “Watching news on this election shows that this is one of the most complicated elections. Nobody has answers for issues.” To seniors, this is an interesting and complicated election to be the first one they vote in.

Meyer, Mohler, and Kirkpatrick also have their own views on how a leader should be. To Meyer, a leader should be, “Trustworthy, in it for everyone, and not self-absorbed.” A leader should be involved and concerned about citizens’ lives.

Mohler said, “A good leader should have determination and do all that is necessary to get a job done.” Once a leader announces they will do something, they should follow through with it.  

Kirkpatrick believes, “Good morals make a good leader and things they support like religion.” Each person should have something they emphasize or support.

Overall, these seniors are pretty dazzled by this election, but they also feel voting is an important part of being a citizen. Meyer feels it is a big step in her life. “It’s a stepping stone into adulthood.

img_0274

Seniors Matthew Mohler and Steven Kirkpatrick