A Tradition That Could End

Kevin Valdez getting crowned during Powderpuff when the sophomores and juniors won, 24-0
Powderpuff has been a tradition for many years and leads to the coronation of the King elected for Homecoming. All the girls come together every year to practice for this event.

Although, in the last three years there have been multiple injuries during this event.

Some of the injuries include the knee, ACL, and a dislocated shoulder making the district question, should powder puff be cancelled?

Powder puff is a game where girls can step into the football players’ shoes. Instead of tackling, they use flags for less injuries, but there are some people who think it is too dangerous and should be cancelled.

During high school, the students and the staff do not want a tradition to end that everyone looks forward to where peers have a friendly competition.

Mr. Ramirez, the vice principal, says, ¨I do not care. I just want everyone to follow the precautions and be safe. ¨

Precautions are important to follow, so injuries can be prevented.

Barbara McCrory, a senior player, says, ¨During the practices, I was scared I was going to get hurt again.. But it did not stop me from playing because it is my senior year.¨

Mrs. Vasche, chair of the English department and cheer coach, says, ¨Historically we have had several people injured during the game. It is supposed to be flag football. However, in my experience, I have seen girls tackle each other on the field. Football players need to put in at least 10 days of practice before they are allowed to be put in a competition, and the people participating in powder puff should only put in 2 weeks worth of 20 minutes of practice for the game. They are underprepared and under trained for the physicality of the game.¨

In powderpuff, all the rules should be followed and precautions enforced properly.

These ways can prevent people from getting hurt. In future years, these rules need to keep being forced so less injuries happen. McCrory also agreed that precautions need to be followed. “Precautions will help us.”