Indians Hunt Cougars In Home Territory

The Ripon High Indians spiked and blocked their way to victory in their home game vs. the Escalon Cougars on Tuesday, October 10, 2017. The Indians 7-8(5-2) faced their rivals the Cougars 14-7 (6-2) in their second game of the season.

The Indians got off to a slow start giving Escalon seven points at the start of the first set. “Our energy wasn’t there and we got too comfortable so our effort wasn’t there at the beginning” said Junior starting setter Rachel Sausedo.

Ripon gets ready for upcoming serve. Photo taken by Sarah Whitley

The Indians quickly got back on top winning the first set of the game with a close score of 25-23. “We were gunning for them tonight,” stated Ripon head coach Erin Cutino who was interviewed by the Manteca Bulletin. The Indians lost to the Cougars in their previous meeting.

Throughout the game the Indians and Cougars exchanged blows, with Escalon taking the second set 25-19. “We won the first set so our effort wasn’t there 100% until the end of the second set,” added Rachel Sausedo.

The Indians went on to win the next two sets with strong performances by Mia Van Lewen, Jessica Stanley, and Makayla Buie. “We really focused on our blocking and hitting around the block because we knew we needed to work around Escalon’s strength,” stated Senior outside hitter Makayla Buie.

Junior Libero Deven Stokes also played a pivotal role on defense, racking up a total of 28 digs. “The mindset was definitely different because we wanted to win for the school,” stated Deven Stokes.

The Indians ultimately won after 4 sets of close play that had the possibility of going either way. The scores for were (Ripon-Escalon)  25-23, 19-25, 25-18, and 25-23 for the four sets respectively. The Indians won 3 while the Cougars managed to escape with 1 set won. “We knew we were the better team on the court so we definitely stepped up to take the win,” added Stokes.

Ripon’s JV team also won their game. The Indians will go on to play Modesto Christian’s Crusaders away this Thursday, October 12, at Modesto Christian and will participate in the Stockton Classic at Edison High School on October 13-14.