Student Hobbies at RHS

Since March 13, Ripon High students have developed many hobbies to pass the time. With daily life being put on hold and in-person schooling being replaced with Zoom, students have had loads of time on their hands, and many have decided that now is the right time to discover and finally learn that hobby or talent. RHS Sophomore Vivian Parsons has taken this time to discover her new passion, golfing.

“I started golfing during the shutdown and have gotten really into it. My family even got a membership at Spring Creek because of it. I like it because there is a really great community around it here in Ripon and I can do it with my whole family. I have met a lot of great people through and it has brought me out of my comfort zone in the best way possible,” stated Parsons.

Although schooling has been online, that doesn’t necessarily mean that students aren’t still finding ways to have fun. With all of the COVID-19 madness, students are still working hard to make sure that they find new ways to have fun whether they have always been working on that hobby, or have just discovered that they enjoy it. RHS senior Ashley Jackson has decided to take up knitting as her hobby and stated that this talent has been in her sights for about seven years.

I started golfing during the shutdown and have gotten really into it. My family even got a membership at Spring Creek because of it. I like it because there is a really great community around it here in Ripon and I can do it with my whole family

— Vivian Parsons

“When I was younger, my grandma tried teaching me how to knit, but I was in fourth grade and didn’t quite have the attention span for it, and now I definitely have more patience. It’s been about seven years that I’ve wanted to get into it, and then once Corona started I found the supplies while cleaning my room at 3 A.M. I Googled how to knit and started knitting randomly, and I can do scarves, and I also found a loom to make a hat,” stated Jackson.

Overall, whether it be knitting at 3 A.M. or golfing with your family, RHS students are determined to put this free time to use and find things that they enjoy doing while staying safe.