Battle of the Rivals: Ripon Beats Escalon

A high stakes rivalry took place on the volleyball court, as RHS went against Escalon in a long anticipated game on Wednesday, Oct. 4 and beat the cougars by a total score of 3-0. But this was no ordinary game – it is a heated rivalry that has lasted for over 40 years, and both teams had every desire to win this game.In the end though, Ripon came away with the victory.

Our Lady Indians raised the bar high in the first set and beat the Cougars with a score of 25-23. Many moments from the players stood out, but senior Kaya Whittaker, recalls the best moment being one particular closed block from sophomore Olivia Neuman,and senior Katherine Eskes. Whittaker says, “I remember one block from Olivia where she was so close to Katherine and there was literally no space in between them.” Whittaker remembers the girls’ perfect block sending the ball straight down on the opponent’s side. The Varsity team has been working hard in practice on their defense and it was satisfying to see the hard work pay off in such an important game. 

The next sets followed a 25-20 and 25-14 win, Escalon slowly losing their strength, as they were no longer able to keep up with Ripon’s solidity. 

Despite a few mistakes the girls were able to pick each other up, and Whittaker believes that the energy between fellow players was still a little off. “It is a rival game so it’s gonna be emotional, but I think sometimes the emotions affect our plays.”

Not to mention, some of these girls are also faced with the fact that it will be their last year playing volleyball. Senior Allie Camara, shares the good and the bad about playing high school volleyball for the last time as a senior. Camara says, “It’s a lot of fun getting to play my favorite sport with the other seniors and all of my other teammates because of how close we are as a team and I am so grateful I get to spend my last year with such amazing people.” Camara also describes how playing as a senior can be tough. She says, “It is a little difficult when thinking this will be the last season I will be playing at Ripon High, but I know that I will be able to look back at the memories I have made over the past four years and be grateful for everyone and everything volleyball has given me.” 

Ripon is currently ahead of Escalon in TVL and has four more games to go. We can’t wait to see how our Lady Indians conclude the season.