Reversing Roles: Powderpuff 2023

Powderpuff is an annual school event where the girls get a chance to play football. It is flag football coached by selected upperclassmen boys. Seniors and freshmen are on the red team against the juniors and sophomores, on the white team. The final score was 14-6 with the white team taking the win, but it was a tough fight and a great game to watch overall.

“I really wanted the senior class to win and I wanted to go out with all of my friends and show the school we have athletes in this class, even though we lost,” said senior, Joseph Brizuella, coach of the red team.

Just like regular football, there are also cheerleaders at the game. Male students at Ripon High join in on the fun by putting on a bow and a tutu and cheering for the girls. The powderpuff game is also where the homecoming king and queen get announced and crowned. Congratulations to this years King Devin Fitzpatrick and Queen Lucia Machado Perez! Overall powderpuff is an amazing event at Ripon High that brings many people together and holds memorable fun every year it takes place.

“It is something that gets a lot of the student body together that generally wouldn’t interact and it’s something fascinating that I think more people should go to,” senior, Alana Jones stated.

Ava Hernandez, freshman throwing the ball