New Year, New Changes In Advisory!

Each year, Ripon High faculty and staff strive to create better learning environments and more engaging lessons and with the new year starting, what’s a better way to use electronics to engage students than to create a school-related livestream? Jan. 10, 2024 marked the first advisory class since winter break, meaning new changes were about to take place. 

As students took their seats in their regular advisory classrooms, each projector began to start with a hum, and the screen lit up with the beloved faces of Mr. Rangel, Mrs. Green, and the host of the show, Mr. Mayfield. Mayfield, our creator and host of the livestream, says that his original intention was to “help solve problems on campus” through improving advisory by making it more engaging.  

After a very warm welcome from Mr. Rangel and a fun game of 90’s trivia, Mr. Rangel began to move on to the main points of the livestream, inquiring about what students enjoyed the most at Ripon High School and, the most talked about part of the event, off-campus privileges.

Students from our very own high school have created a recurring problem of misbehavior and littering, which makes many faculty and community members believe that off-campus lunch should be taken away, especially for freshmen. However, some teachers and students think that freshmen aren’t the only one to blame and that the whole student body has contributed to the misbehavior off campus. Mr. Mayfield states, “I hope the privilege doesn’t get taken away. Like we said, there’s a lot of people contributing to the problems that are happening during lunch.” The topic is currently being discussed among faculty members and students, but no final decision has been made.

Overall, the first advisory livestream went well and many students seemed to be more actively involved in what was going on. Hopefully, the advisory livestreams continue and improve as we finish the school year.