Are Stanley Cups Worth the Hype?

Are Stanley Cups Worth the Hype?

In the past few months, the Stanley Cup has taken social media by storm. An everyday cup equipped with a handle, a straw, and a variety of colors to choose from, the Stanley has become more than just a water bottle: it’s become an accessory. This handheld water bottle, nicknamed by some the “adult sippy cup,” has become so popular that the question must be asked: are Stanley Cups worth the hype?  

The main appeal of Stanleys, other than trendiness, is their overall convenience. The Stanley Cup is convenient in that it is easy to carry around and sip from all day long. While the straw might make for easy drinking, it also can collect germs throughout the day. Think about how many germs collect on something that gets touched and coughed on all day; would you want to put that thing in your mouth? Since this straw is one of the most popular features of the Stanley, its vulgarness goes to show that the cup is not worth the hype. 

Besides convenience, another reason why people love Stanleys is customization. From coral pink to aquamarine, Stanleys come in an assortment of different colors, each one as pretty as the last. While normal Stanleys are easy to come by, for the small price of $50, some types, like the exclusive Starbucks Pink Stanley Quencher Tumbler, are so limited that in order to get one, you had to wait in line outside of your local Target on New Year’s Day, then wildly race inside and grab one before they were gone. Since it sold out, this rare cup has been sold online for more than $200. While Stanleys might be cute, one water bottle is never worth that much money, especially when you could easily get something similar for a tenth of the price. Of course, not everyone who uses a Stanley would pay that much to have one; but with such a high focus on the colors, it gets to the point where it is no longer just a water bottle, but an accessory and something to be collected. 

Stanleys might be convenient, colorful, and wildly popular, but in the end, they are not worth the hype. While those who love Stanleys argue that the pretty colors and convenient features make the water bottle worth it, the hype around it still can’t be justified.