Davis Blasts Two Homers in Opening Day Win

On Monday, April 3, the Oakland Athletics started out their season with a 4-2 win over the Los Angeles Angels. Athletics pitcher, Kendall Graveman battled against reigning American League MVP centerfielder, Mike Trout, but held him to only a 2 run homer in the third inning. “We talked before the game about everybody needing to contribute,” said Athletic’s manager Bob Melvin. “I’ve been saying it all spring. Not only did Kendall give us what we needed, but we ran some bullpen guys out there that did what they were asked to do.” Kendall Graveman made it through six innings in his first career Opening Night start, having seven strikeouts. He allowed six hits and walked two.

The Angels took the lead after the blast, but first baseman, Yonder Alonso hit a single that ran in Jed Lowrie, tying the game at 2. It wasn’t long until outfielder, Khris Davis blasted a home run in the sixth inning to take the Athletics to a 3-2 lead. Davis finished with three hits and became the second player in Oakland history to count off two homers on Opening Day, joining Jason Giambi in 2000.

For the Angels, starting pitcher Ricky Nolasco allowed seven hits in the loss, a 5 inning performance that included two walks and four strikeouts. It was his fourth time starting on Opening Night, but his first with the Los Angeles Angels. “I just think a couple of mistakes there to Vogt and to Davis kind of cost the game,” Nolasco said. “But I felt good. I thought I was down in the zone for the most part and making pitches I needed to make. A couple of balls fell in, but the two balls I hung there were the difference in the game.”

The Oakland Athletics and Los Angeles Angels will continue the series until Thursday, April 6.