First Responders Appreciation Day

Saturday, April 1 marked the first annual First Responders Appreciation Day in Ripon, CA.  The event kicked off with a large group of members throughout the community, all marching from the fire station to the police station. It was roughly a one mile walk.

Once the walkers reached the police station, several people spoke, including police chief Ed Ormonde, fire chief Dennis Bitters, and congressman Jeff Denham, accompanied with other people who helped put the event together.  

The purpose of the event was to show appreciation for the first responders that protect and serve Ripon. A few members of the community helped put together this event, as they are concerned with the negative connotations surrounding first responders and how first responders are being targeted in recent media. Different groups such as the Boy Scouts, Fire Explorers, and Police Explorers (organizations for teenagers to help them prepare for a career as a first responder) also volunteered their time to help with the event.

After about 15 minutes of speaking, the people who attended got a chance to interact with different first responders.

The SWAT vehicle was there for attendees to look at and explore inside and a fire truck with an American flag waving, attached to a fully extended ladder.

The first annual First Responders Appreciation Day was very successful and brought many members of the community together.   It will take place next year on the first Saturday in April.