7 Foods You Shouldn’t Eat Before Bed

We’ve all heard of midnight snacks and we all have had our fair share of them but here are a few you should not eat before going to sleep.

1. Pizza- According to recent studies, the cheesy toppings can give you nightmares and the tomato sauce can cause stomach aches.

2. Sugar Cereal- Sugary cereals digest rapidly in your system so the spike of blood sugar could cause your body to throw off its sleep hormones. Low-fiber diets are also linked to lighter sleep.

3. Spicy Foods- Spicy foods can irritate your stomach, making it harder for you to fall asleep or even stay asleep.

4. Coffee- Caffeine affects your sleep, meaning you should not have anything that contains it later than six hours before bedtime.

5. Soda- Just like coffee, the sugar/caffeine affects your sleep and is super stimulating. The carbonation can also upset your stomach.

6. Orange Juice- Orange juice contains very acidic fruits that are problematic if you have a sensitive bladder. Instead, you should eat a whole piece of fruit. The carbohydrates will actually help you sleep better and the fiber helps absorb the sugar more slowly.

7. Burgers- A meal like this will get your digestive tract working hard, which can be disruptive if you’re trying to go to bed. Recent studies found that eating too much saturated fat is linked to lighter sleep, causing you to be more awake.