Ms. Paris: The New Addition to the Tribe

New math teacher Ms. Paris working hard!

Erin Paris is one of the new teachers here at Ripon High. She’s the incoming math one teacher, and has been teaching for a total of 12 years. Paris attended Johansen High School before getting her teaching credential and degree at Long Beach State. After that, Paris decided to return back to Johansen and teach there. 

Her family lives in Ripon and it consists of her husband, daughter, and son. Although Paris doesn’t have a lot of spare time, in her free time she enjoys hanging out with her kids. In life, Paris admires her mother because of how patient she is and how she has adapted to the many curve balls life has thrown her way. 

Paris believes that her strengths as a teacher consists of having empathy for students, especially since she knows what it’s like to be in their shoes. She describes her weaknesses as giving her students too many chances. 

“I’m available a lot to help them, so that’s some of my strengths. My weakness is sometimes I maybe give too many chances, I could probably be more strict when it comes to that,” Paris exclaims. 

At Ripon High School, Paris enjoys the positivity that the students and teachers provide. Even though she is a new teacher, everyone is making her feel at home. 

I came into an atmosphere of where teachers have been working together for a long time, and no one has ever made me feel like the newbie

— Ms. Paris

Paris always wanted to be a teacher when she grew up, since she comes from a family of educators. She is very passionate in what she believes in, especially with teaching. 

“Well I always kind of knew. In college I would tutor students in math when they were struggling,” Paris states.

If she wasn’t a teacher, she would have chosen to be a nurse because she believes in helping people, or chosen to be a judge because she believes in justice. 

By the end of this school year, she expects growth in her students. She loves watching her students grow to hopefully become good people, and of course applying themselves to learning new math material.

“I just want them to grow. They shouldn’t all be in the same spot as they all don’t come in in the same spot, but I should see some kind of growth from when they enter in my classroom to when they exit. Not only in math, but in them being good humans and just good citizens,” Paris concludes.