59th Annual Almond Blossom Princesses

This year is the 59th annual Ripon Almond Blossom and a lot has been canceled due to COVID including the festival, however, we still have the Almond Blossom Queen competition. This year we have 10 Almond Blossom princesses running. The 10 girls that are in the contest this year are Abigail Thompson, Emma Phelps, Jaedyn Hendryx, Naomi Wilbur, Katelyn Cardoza, Brenda Vega, Rylie Kackley, Riley Rangel, Kalani Kahandawala, and Gabrielle Martin. First, we have Abby Thompson. 

Abigail Thompson has always looked up to the former Almond Blossom Princesses as role models when she was younger, now she is excited to have the opportunity to be a role model to Ripon! She wanted to run because of the opportunities that came with it, and to make new friends, as well as learn new skills. Abby is most excited for the fashion show as well to pick out the dresses! An inspiration of hers is her mom because she says she is just an overall amazing person and strives for the best even in the darkest times. Abby says her mom also shows her to be the best she can without changing herself in a way other people would prefer her to. After high school, Abby would like to go somewhere out of state or in Southern California to major in the medical field specifically being a NICU or Perinatal nurse.

Brenda Vega applied because it seemed like the perfect experience to grow as a person and make fun memories. The fashion show was Brenda’s favorite event because it was super fun to pick out all the dresses and socialize with the girls. She says they encouraged one another. Brenda’s mother and older sister Ingrid Vega are huge inspirations to Brenda. She states that they have taught her to preserve and to fight for what she wants and to feel proud of herself. After high school, Brenda would like to attend CSU Stanislaus State where her older sister attends. She wants to become an engineer or teacher! 

Emma Phelps applied to run this year because she has lived in Ripon her whole life and she has always wanted to run! Emma’s older sister ran 3 years ago and now that Emma is of age she is running as well!! Her favorite event so far was the Pilates class, Emma liked this because it got her mind off things and she had a good time laughing and enjoying herself with the girls. Emma’s mom has inspired her to be the person she is today. She is always making her feel better and helping Emma with anything she needs during Almond Blossom. Emma plans to go to a four-year college and major in either animal science or an animal nutritionist or to run her own business. Emma’s dream is to become a large animal vet after going to Oklahoma state to get her doctorate, but she says the future is to be determined.

Gabrielle Martin wanted to be an Almond Blossom princess this year because she wanted to get to know the girls she grew up with better and to participate in her community. Her favorite event was the shopping day, she says it was a good way for the girls to bond and have fun. Gabrielle says she has always wanted to be a princess in one way or another. Her mom’s friend ran a few years ago and was crowned queen, so that was a good inspiration for her along with her mom. She says she strives to be the mother her mom was to her to her future kids! After high school, Gabrielle wants to attend an Arts college down in Southern California. She would love to go to Cal State Fullerton because they have an amazing drama program. Gabrielle says that she would also love this because Cal State is so close to Disneyland, Anaheim and she would like to work there as a Disney princess when she attends college.

Jaedyn Hendryx decided to run for Almond Blossom Queen this year to be more involved in her community and make more friends and memories! An upcoming event Jaedyn is very excited about the fashion show, she is very excited to put together the outfits she will be wearing. Jaedyn says a lot of people inspire her but the one she would choose would be Slone Stephens. Slone inspires Jaedyn because she has a lot of dedication and determination. After high school Jaedyn plans to attend a D1 college for tennis and to study to be a Pediatric oncologist. 

Kalani Kahandawala applied to step outside of her comfort zone, to make new friends, and give her more learning skills such as speech and interview skills. Kalani’s favorite event was the etiquette class. She liked it because it helped her develop table setting, how to formally eat food and how to have proper communication skills. Kalani’s inspiration is her mom and dad because they are constantly working hard to provide for her and she feels the need to do the same so she can give back to them. After high school, Kalani plans to pursue the medical field as a doctor or nurse. She would like to go to UC Davis because they have a great medical program and she would like to major in chemistry.  

Katelyn Cardoza applied because she wanted to be a good example towards the town of Ripon, and she wanted to step outside her comfort zone and to let people know anything is possible. Katelyn’s favorite event was the pilates class. She says it was really fun and it was nice to support a local business. Katelyn’s dad inspires her because he is hard-working, caring, and the smartest man she knows. She says he can turn any conversation into a life-long lesson. Katelyn plans to go to a school she can get a scholarship in for wrestling or she would like to attend BYU or go on a church mission. Katelyn says she wants to travel the world.

Naomi Wilbur has always wanted to be an Almond Blossom Princess because she says she has grown up seeing all of the princesses’ in their dresses and in the parade and she knew she would never get the chance again so she is excited to run and represent Ripon as a princess. Naomi’s favorite event was the speech night because she says it was fun just hanging out with the girls and talking to everyone before our speeches. One of Naomi’s inspirations are her parents because they have always supported her and given her the confidence she has today! After high school Naomi would like to attend Cal Poly and major in Urban/City Planning, She says that being an urban planner has been a dream job of hers because she wants to build cities in a more sustainable way, or she would like to see where her dance career takes her, she says she’d love to be a New York Rockette.

Riley Rangel wanted to be an Almond Blossom Princess to put herself out there and to try something new and to meet new girls around campus or at Ripon Christian. Her favorite event was the pilates class because it was a fun bonding experience. Riley’s parents really inspire her because she was nervous to start this but they told her it would be fun to do something outside of her comfort zone. After high school, Riley plans to go to MSU in Bozeman, Montana, and wants to do Animal Hospice Try and take care of different animals on ranches. 

Rylie Kackley wanted to be an Almond Blossom Princess because she thought it was a good opportunity to create friendships. Rylie’s favorite event was the shopping day because it was super fun and she got to hang out with all of the girls. Someone that inspires Rylie is her mom because she inspires her to work hard. Her plan after high school is to attend college and hopefully attend medical school to become a nurse.