Renaissance Gets a Revamp

Renaissance Rewards is a program that encourages students to do well academically and be rewarded at the end of a quarter or semester. This program was adapted from Jostens Renaissance which was founded in 1988. The aim of this program according  to the Renaissance Revamp published by Ripon High’s associated student body the purpose of the change is to “… encourage the same excitement and acceptance similar to what is expected in athletics.”

Ripon High School has incorporated this program into the school as a club for more than 20 years. However, starting this school year new changes have occurred with the application and rewards.

There are only two type of cards to apply for now, a gold card and red card. The gold card is for anyone with a 4.0 GPA or higher, whereas the red card is for anyone with a GPA between 3.0 to 3.99. The white card, which was awarded to anyone with a 0.5 GPA improvement, will no longer be available.

These are the previous Renaissance Cards that students used to get through finals week and regular school days. Now these cards will be modified with new and interesting awards.

Along with the card changes, most if not all of the awards have been changed. In the previous years, students who applied for the gold card, received three homework passes, one late turn pass and two finals passes depending on the quarter. Students who applied for the red card received two homework passes and two late turn in passes.

Now gold card students will receive one free item per quarter, which could be something $20 or less from the student store, a food treat like cupcakes from the Cupcake Lady, or a graduation ticket depending on the quarter, along with three late turn in passes. Whereas the red card student will be awarded one ACE ticket along with four late turn in passes.

According to Mrs. Mortenson, these changes have occurred to incorporate the new and changing culture of Ripon High School. Mrs. Mortenson believes, Renaissance Rewards needed to become more creative inside and outside of class.

Many freshmen may not be affected by this change, but sophomores, juniors and seniors sure are. The biggest loss to many students are the finals passes and homework passes. The student will now have to do their homework and study for their finals.

Senior Thomas Mulder believes, “The new renaissance changes are really dumb I wish they bring back finals passes. I literally relied on these finals passes to get through finals week.”

The new renaissance changes are really dumb I wish they bring back finals passes. I literally relied on these finals passes to get through finals week.

— Thomas Mulder

Mulder is not the only Ripon High student wanting Renaissance Rewards to revert back to its old rules. There are many frustrated seniors who wish these changes occurred after they graduated from high school or finals passes make a comeback because as many stated that, finals passes took off stress and were the main reason to why students applied for Renaissance in the first place.

However, as some students are disappointed, they are also open to the new changes. Students are pleased and excited to hear about the future surprises available to all those who qualified for the gold card.

According to Laysha Macedo, “It’s cool to offer rewards for performing academically because it’s good motivation, but at the same time I don’t think the free items can replace finals passes or motivate others to join.”

Overall the new Renaissance Rewards changes are disappointing many students, but Mrs. Mortenson hopes the students will understand that change is inevitable, and with this change in Renaissance Rewards, the students will be provided with something more positive.

Ripon High students have a whole school year to reflect more on this change to the academic awards from Renaissance.