Should students with an A or higher take a final for the class?

Recently,  there has been some conflict over the decision of whether or not a student should be required to take a final for a class that they have an A or higher in. The reason that  this is so controversial is because finals are meant to show the teacher how much you have learned throughout the course of the semester. This can also be determined by the students’ current grade in the class also.

Therefore, if a student has an 90 percent or higher in the class, it can be inferred that the student already knows and has absorbed a great amount of what has been taught to them throughout the semester. “I don’t think that a student should be expected to take a final on information if it is already obvious that they know it by their high grade.”  Ripon High sophomore Kelly Nguyen says.

“I know that if I have a 90 percent or higher in the course, then I know the information and material. Therefore, I don’t think I should be expected to be required to take the finals either,” Sophomore Meredith Lundrigan says.  This goes to show how some students who work hard and keep up good grades feel about the new expectation being put upon them. “I personally think that students with a 90 percent or higher, have worked hard enough and therefore deserve to opt out on the final.” Nguyen claims.