An Interview with Mrs. Rivera: New Spanish Teacher

Mrs. Rivera, a new teacher at Ripon High, believes that she was made for teaching and never wants to quit. 

In an interview with Mrs. Rivera, Ripon’s High new spanish teacher, she talks about how the students inspire her, and how she loves each of her students. When asked what inspired her to teach, she said that the general high school age group was very inspiring to her, as she knows that they still need mothering and not to be treated entirely as an adult. “I love the high school age group, freshmen and sophomores, as that’s where a lot of people expect you to be grown up and for you to do your thing, and it’s not always like that. It’s like you guy’s still need mothering, but not a whole lot of mothering, and I really think that’s the age where you need a lot of help, and I can help you,” said Mrs. Rivera.

Rivera’s experience with Ripon isn’t new, however. Before, she’s worked as a librarian at Ripon Elementary, but this is specifically her first job teaching an entire class. “Yes, teaching at Ripon High is my first real teaching position. I’m going to school, and I’m getting my credentials. This is the first real teaching position. I taught little things at the library, but never anything like this,” she stated when asked if Ripon High was her first teaching position.

Even though it’s Rivera’s first time teaching, she has goals she wishes to achieve. Mrs. Rivera wants all of her students to pass. “I want (everybody to pass), because I think that in freshman and sophomore years, you’re still trying to figure your life out, and if you get an F because you aren’t a good test taker, it really ruins your self esteem.” she noted.

Mrs. Rivera, while new to the teaching scene, is trying to show that she was made for the job. “Since I was asked to be a Spanish teacher, I felt that this is where I’m supposed to be.”