Twitter Takes Vine Off the Grapevine

Image result for vine

On Thursday, Oct 28, Twitter announced that their six-second video sharing platform, Vine, will be shutting down “in the coming months.”

The company posted a statement on their Medium regarding the shutdown.

Nothing is happening to the apps, website or your Vines today. We value you, your Vines, and are going to do this the right way. You’ll be able to access and download your Vines. We’ll be keeping the website online because we think it’s important to still be able to watch all the incredible Vines that have been made,” the company wrote.

“The news comes the same day Twitter announced it would lay off more than 300 workers, or 9% of the company’s global workforce, within the company’s sales, partnerships, and marketing teams.” writes Business Insider.

Social media responses appear mixed, with many saddened by the sudden news.

“I have a surprisingly heavy reaction to the news [Vine] is shutting down. The app came at a crucial time in my creative life. Making one [Vine] a day for 340 days, seeing that response, using it to inspire a reawakening of my own creative voice… Watching so many people get inspired by what I was saying…it led to my podcast, in many ways led to the writing of Billions.” wrote Billions co-creator Brian Koppelman on his Twitter.

However, while many people share the thoughts of Koppelman, others presumed the shutdown was coming. Washington Post reported in July that many top Vine stars were leaving the application in favor of sites like YouTube and Snapchat, where they can reach larger audiences.

“5,000 of Vine’s top 9,725 accounts — including media outlets, professional athletes, brands and celebrities — have stopped posting to the platform. Those who do, like Bachelor and his Shots colleagues Rudy Mancuso and Lele Pons — who have 36 million followers, between the three of them — frequently post their material first to Facebook, Snapchat or Instagram. New user growth is stagnant, search interest is way down, and almost all of Vine’s product and business executives have fled in the past four months,” reporter Caitlin Dewey wrote during July of 2016.

Vine has had it’s effect on internet culture and the world, with Vines creating now popular phrases such as “What are those?,” “My name Jeff,” and “Do it for the Vine!,” and needless to say, many, whether expecting it or not, will miss the site, such as Vine star Brittany Furlan.
    Bye bye old friend. Thank you for everything.” she wrote, directed to Vine’s twitter after the shutdown.