“La La Land” Loses its Oscar

The smallest things can capture the attention of the whole country. On the evening of February 26, something unprecedented happened at the Oscars: Warren Beatty read the wrong envelope.

Warren Beatty read off “Emma Stone” as best actress, having been given an envelope with her name in it rather than the correct one.

Since the incident, the event has been subject to a lot of analyzation and investigation in a quest to find out who exactly was responsible. As it turns out, auditing firm PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) was primarily responsible and has since sent out an apology for the mistake:

“We sincerely apologize to Moonlight, La La Land, Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, and Oscar viewers for the error that was made during the award announcement for Best Picture. The presenters had mistakenly been given the wrong category envelope and when discovered, was immediately corrected. We are currently investigating how this could have happened, and deeply regret that this occurred. We appreciate the grace with which the nominees, the Academy, ABC, and Jimmy Kimmel handled the situation.”

Soon after the mistake was made, Moonlight was named as the real winner by Jordan Horowitz.

“At the end of the day we made a human error,” Tim Ryan, U.S. chairman and senior partner of PwC told USA TODAY. “We made a mistake. What happened was, our partner on the left side of the stage, Brian Cullinan…handed the wrong envelope to Warren Beatty. And then the second we realized that we notified the appropriate parties and corrected the mistake.”