The Scholar Athlete Award

Seniors Devon Denhart and Rhet Herrin were presented with the Scholar Athlete Award on April 11, 2017 for playing three sports for all four years of high school while being simultaneously successfully within the classroom.

Both seniors were ecstatic when they found out they had been selected for the award.

Herrin said, “It was pretty cool, because I know there are a lot of other people who are also deserving… so it means a lot to me.”

The recipients got to go to a lunch where they invited one of their coaches to represent them and talk about them.

Denhart said, “You pick a coach to represent you, and I picked Cutino. All of the schools were there, and their coaches talked about them. It was cool to listen to other stories and meet other people who are like me.”

Herrin and Denhart picked coaches that they have developed a personal relationship with. Denhart inviting Cutino, and Herrin invited Christopher Musseman.

Herrin said, “I choose Muss because he was my teacher sophomore year, and my coach for football and golf all four years, so I have a good relationship with him.”

Musseman also thinks very highly of Herrin and believes he is deserving of the award.

He stated, “It was a real honor to be there with Rhet. He has definitely earned it. Rhet is successful in sports and in the classroom, which is the most important.”

Denhart stated, “I was really honored that the school chose me as their female athlete. It was a really cool experience… I brought Cutino because she has been my volleyball coach for two years and coached me for basketball. We have a very good relationship.”

Getting the scholar athlete award was very special to Herrin and Denhart, and especially an honor for their coaches, Musseman and Cutino.

Each of the people invited to the ceremony not only felt honored but thoroughly enjoyed their experience as well.

Christopher Musseman believed Herrin and Denhart were very deserving, stating, “There are not a lot of people that do three sports anymore and are successful in the sports and the classroom. Good luck in the future to Rhet and Devon.”