Lady Indians Defeat Buffalos; Varsity Boys lose in a Heartbreaker

By Luciano Gonzalez

On Monday night the lady Indians defeated the Manteca Buffaloes in a CIF Fundraiser game. The Indians came from behind to pull off the victory. With only minutes to go and down by three Jourdy Richter hit a phenomenal three point shot to tie the game up at 40 a piece. On the ensuing Ripon possesion junior Sarah Defreitas hit a mid range jump shot to put the Indians ahead. Then Richter hit another three to make it 45-40 which sealed the deal for the Indians.

The Indians had been down the whole game, but the comeback was sparked by Junior Haley Monroe who hit a pair of baskets off the bench which brought about an impressive Ripon offensive run in the 4th quarter.

The Indians had many key contributors on the offensive side of the ball. Junior Kara brown had 11 points and Zaire Davis added 8 points. Jourdy Richter hit three threes for a total of 9 points.

Senior Melanie Ulrich and Courtney Slamon dominated the glass hauling most of the rebounds for Ripon.

The Indians play Livermore December 2, 2014 at home.

Ripon 58 Manteca 63

The scoreboard read 18-6 in the first quarter, Ripon was beating up a highly favored Manteca Buffalo team, but once the second quarter started and Manteca began to cut the lead down. Ripon’s defense was stopping Manteca’s offense until the Buffalo’s Tydus Verhoeve took control of the game. Verhoeve would go on to score 23 points. Ripon had a late push at the end of the game, but it wasn’t enough to stop the Buffalos.

Ripon had it’s moments of greatness with sophomore guard Aaron Paschini (21 points) hit several key three pointers and jump shots.

“We got into foul trouble and gave them to many attempts at the line,” said Andrew Wood when asked about the main reasons for the loss.

Cole Stevens (15 points) and Mario Roach(13 points) both had great offensive and defensive contributions. Roach was playing good ball until he fouled out in the 4th with a questionable foul. Although out-sized posts Cody Haines and David Onnochie held there own against Manteca’s dominant post players.

The Indians will only continue to get better as the season progress. Despite a young team the Indians proved they belong with the big guys.

Ripons falls to 1-1 and will play in the Big Valley Christian Tournament against Potters December 4th.