The New Girl in Town

by Morgan Brown

Three months ago, I was fresh from the second biggest city in California, headed to a town I could barely find on a map. I found Ripon and was surprised. In a short time, I’ve come to love it here. I’ve traded a plethora of people for a plethora of tractors driving on the main road. I’ve swapped fancy apartment complexes and malls for hundreds of orchards, acres of open space and loads of almonds. While most people my age can’t imagine the switch to be a positive thing, I’ve found an oasis in this little hamlet.

Ripon has a glowing reputation in the world of adults. It’s said to be a safe, family-friendly community, and I’ve witnessed that first-hand. In San Jose, the thought of sending a child by themselves to play at the park down the street is absurd. Laughable. Forget about it. The dangers are real. In striking contrast, my 11-year-old sister runs to the park by our home in Ripon to play for hours with no supervision and absolutely no worries. I’ve seen genuine charm that too many cities try, and fail, to imitate. Downtown Ripon, while almost too small to be considered a “downtown hub,” holds all the character I’d been hoping I’d find here. The first time I drove down Main Street, I immediately compared it to Radiator Springs, with all the best intentions in mind. The locally owned businesses and small shops are beyond special. Plus, they’re all closed on Sundays, which is a long lost tradition in 2015 culture.  Don’t even get me started on all the fruit stands and fields. The peaceful scenery that surrounds Ripon has been so refreshing. Looking out my car window just to see a flat plain has been so different for me, but it’s now hard to imagine my life without those views. This town is like one I’ve only heard of in storybooks.

At first glance you don’t see the people that call Ripon home. Over the past three months, I’ve gotten a closer view of the local folk. Like every other community in the world, it’s a mixed bag. While there is little racial diversity, there is an abundance of personalities that I’ve loved getting to know. I’ve been especially struck by the personal and familiar way shop owners, cashiers, waiters, and the like interact with their customers. “Everyone knows everyone” definitely rings true in this town. Of course, that includes the students. Upon starting at Ripon High School, I’ve been given many insights as to how high schoolers see their hometown. I’ve heard every way to say, “It’s boring.” Many students I talk to about Ripon can’t wait to leave. They find where they live is uneventful and suffocating. I’ve realized the people in Ripon are a part of a very tight-knit circle. To state the extremes, it’s one that’s hard to join for outsiders, yet under-appreciated by insiders. Even so, Ripon enchants me. I wish I’d grown up here. I know no city is perfect, but if this place is all you’ve ever known, I think you should be proud. Call me naive, but, my first impressions have been positive. Ripon is a treasure. I’m glad to start calling it home, and I’m jealous of those who’ve had that honor their whole lives.

View Comments (1)