Ripon vs. Sonora, First Pre Season Baseball Game of the Season

On March 3, the Ripon Indians baseball team (Ripon, CA), was overwhelmed 7-3 in Tuesday’s non-league outing with the visiting Sonora Wildcats. (Sonora, CA) The game was held at Ripon High’s Varsity baseball field at 4 p.m. Even though our Indians lost we still hold our heads up high! In hope that next time we play the Wildcats that we will do better!

I talked to Coach Manrique and he states, “This was our boys’ first pre-season game and even though we didn’t do the best we could, it doesn’t count in league. This was just a taste of what our boys will be doing, our boys will be working harder than ever this season. From this game we learned what we need to improve on and we will go from there.”

Ripon High’s coach is always so positive and upbeat, but is definitely going to make the boys work if they want to win their next games.

In the first couple innings it was back to back, but once Sonora got a run in, they didn’t stop. It was like a chain reaction. One right after another. Ripon beating themselves up, but worked so hard to catch up to them, they just ran out of time. They definitely could have caught up, if it wasn’t for Sonoras pitcher. Their pitcher was throwing some nasty curves balls and breaking balls. Ripon High switched pitchers every now and then, it through off Sonora. That was our advantage.

Jack Mayer, the only sophomore that got moved up to varsity, was one of the pitchers that day and he states,  “My boys could have focused harder on their hitting and taking some of the blame i could have pitcher a little better. This wasn’t one of our best games, but we definitely know what we need to work on now! It was a loss, but at the same time again.”

The Wildcats now hold a 2-0 record. They take the field next when they travel to East Union for a non-league outing on Thursday, March 5. Next, the Indians face the Davis Spartans (Modesto, CA) in a non-league outing, on Thursday, March 5. Ripon will attempt to advance on its 0-1 season record. The Spartans enter the outing with a 1-1 record after their 15-0 non-league loss to Central Catholic (Modesto, CA)

Our Indians put in their best effort! There were many things both teams could have done differently, but in the end, overall it was a great game. Definitely kept the crowd on its toes!

By Amanda Hawryz