Kaepernick Controversy

Recently, controversy has been all over social media, the news, and school over whether or not Colin Kaepernick should have sat for the national anthem. To those who aren’t yet aware, the NFL quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers sat for the national anthem as a protest against racial inequality, and it stirred a lot of conversation.

“I think he could’ve taken another method to represent what he wanted to get across,” said sophomore Manuel Ponce.

His actions were questioned by many, and many people were against what he did. However, there are people who supported him for using his freedom of speech to spread awareness.

“I personally don’t think that Colin abused his right. I think this because every human being has their freedom of speech. All people should have the right to stand or not stand during the national anthem. We all have voices that need to be heard somehow, and Colin just said what was on his mind,” said one student, who wishes to remain anonymous.

Kaepernick is in the spotlight and other athletes have been backing him up and have been sitting for the national anthem as well.

“Every time someone else sits down, our country becomes more divided. Once again, there are many other ways to shed light on a topic other than sitting down during our national anthem,” said senior Anna Pedersen. “All these athletes are admired and looked upon by so many people, and I think they could be just as effective without sitting down.”