Improving Sex Education

In every high school, many questions arise about the way sexual education is being taught to students. Yet no one achieves answers about the proper way to explain this process. In a recent poll done at Ripon High School, 10 students and adults of all ages were interviewed about their opinion on Sex Ed and how they wish it was taught to them .

When asked about what she thinks about the subject, sophomore Sydney Vernon said, “It is a good thing to be informed about it and it is an educational need. One change would be that there needs to be more guy and girl one on one time, separating the sexes in case they are uncomfortable asking with others around.”

Other students all agreed that Sex Ed needs to give more information about the menstrual cycle and hygiene. The most common result of the poll was that the lesson needs to deliver a greater message about protection, birth control, and preparation.  Chloe Kiser said, “You have to know the consequences of having sex at a young age instead of finding out later.”

On the other hand, an adult, who wishes to remain anonymous, speaks about the way her daughter was taught sex education in high school. She said, “Sex Education needs to be approached with dignity and respect. Along with Sex Ed, there should be a focus on love rather than just having sex to have sex, also known as commitment. The teacher needs to conduct the students in a way that is professional and not allowing every student’s crude thoughts come to play about sex, like slang. I also think it should be based on respect for people’s choices and each other.”

Overall, the individuals interviewed feel that this subject was a valuable matter to be taught in our schools for students of all ages.

Image result for sex education