Golden State Contributes

On December 4, people across California were stunned when a warehouse burned to the ground, killing at least 36 individuals. Lives were ended as the fast spreading fire took hold of the entire building. As of this point, 70 percent of the warehouse has been searched, and it is more than likely that more deaths will be found.

Many lives were impacted by this turn of events. Head Coach Steve Kerr of the Golden State Warriors wants to let the victims know that California’s thoughts are with them. He said, “I want to start off today by offering our condolences to the victims of the Oakland fire. Just a devastating tragedy right here in the East Bay. It’s hard to comprehend. As an organization, we just want to send our thoughts and prayers to the victims, their families, their friends, and people that were injured. I know it can’t cure the pain, but we’re thinking of you and the whole organization, the team and everybody at Oracle arena tonight when we have a moment of silence. We’re all with you out there, and we’re devastated.”

Along with the kind words set out on Twitter, Kerr also donated $50,000 for the damage, victims, and other needs for the money.

One of our very own students, Brandon States, went to the game following the sudden news of the fire. Even though he was not present for the moment of silence, he said the team really came together and played well for Oakland. States said,“The team was a unit and were playing really well and were going crazy for eachother.” This was Oracle Arena’s 200th sellout game and the team came in strong to win for the victims of the Oakland fire.

Hospitals are receiving a small amount of injured victims, but a high rate of deaths. California’s prayers and thoughts are with Oakland through this time of need. Alameda’s County Sheriff Ray said, “It appears that people either made it out safely, or didn’t make it out at all.”Image result for oakland fire