Candida Auris is No Fun

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has reported over 35 cases on the East Coast of an emerging fungus known as Candida Auris over the last month. The deadly fungus is mostly a concern to people who are already sick, but the CDC worries that a new strain could develop if they don’t contain the fungus.

“Candida auris is an emerging fungus that presents a serious global health threat,” the CDC reports. “Some strains of Candida auris are resistant to all three major classes of antifungal drugs. This type of multidrug resistance has not been seen before in other species of Candida.”

The CDC has difficulty accurately identifying the fungus, as it’s easy to mistake it for something else.

“C. auris is difficult to identify with standard laboratory methods and can be misidentified in labs without specific technology,” the CDC said in their report on the fungus.

A team of microbiologists at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, did find a drug that has potential for fighting the fungus, although it is unconfirmed and mostly just speculation.

“This drug is especially promising because of its broad anti-Candida activity, including activity against drug-susceptible and resistant strains,” wrote Mahmoud Ghannoum, the author of the study investigating the drug.